Financial Transaction Software
At Maia Company, we tired of complex, expensive financial software, so one of our engineers, using Microsoft® Access®, wrote a simple and highly functional financial transaction ledger for us. This simple to understand and use software, shown below, supports multiple accounts and loans, transfers between accounts, recurring transactions, and weekly, biweekly, semimonthly, monthly budgets, and more.
Give it a try and e-mail us your feedback.
Installing Ledger 2011
Already have Microsoft Access installed
- If you have Microsoft® Access® 2010 installed on your computer, download ledgerAccess.msi and save it to your hard drive.
- After saving ledgerAccess.msi to your hard drive, double click on it to install Ledger 2011.
Don’t have Microsoft Access installed
- If you do not have Microsoft® Access® installed on your computer, you must downloand and install the Microsoft Access Runtime.
- Download ledgerRuntime.msi and save it to your hard drive.
- After saving ledgerRuntime.msi to your hard drive, double click on it to install Ledger 2011.
Eliminating the Annoying Security Warning
Each time you start Ledger you may see a security warning generated by Microsoft Access. You can eliminate this warning by causing Access to trust the Ledger database. We apologize that the steps to eliminate the warning are such a hassle.
- Start Ledger.
- Click "File" on the ribbon.
- Near the bottom of the window, click the "Options" link.
- Click the "Trust Center" link.
- Click the "Trust Center Settings..." button.
- Click the "Trusted Locations" link.
- Click the "Add new location..." button.
- Use the "Browse..." button to find your Documents folder on the computer’s hard drive.
- Click "Ok"
- Click "Ok" again
- Click "Ok" once more
Entering Financial Transactions
- Start Ledger.
- Click the "Accounts" tab and create an account.
- Click the "Transactions" tab. Enter your financial transactions.
- Click the "Main" tab and then the "Budget" button. Choose the budget period, starting date, accounts, and categories you wish to track in your budget. Click the "Budget Report" button.
Here is the design of Ledger shown as an entity relationship diagram (ERD).
Here is the design of Ledger shown as a Unified Modeling Language (UML) class diagram.
Maia L.L.C. and its employees have used their best efforts in preparing this article. These efforts include the development, research, and testing of the theories and computer programs in this article to determine their correctness. Maia L.L.C. makes no warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, with regard to these programs or the documentation contained in this article. Maia L.L.C. shall not be liable in any event for incidental or consequential damages in connection with, or arising out of, the furnishing, performance, or use of these programs.